10 Challenges That Every School Principals Face
Overcoming 10 Challenges That Every School Principals Face
If I look back to my school days, one person who comes to my mind is my school principal. If you count school as a family, the Principal would be the head of the family with all the primary responsibilities. It is said,
“With great power, comes great responsibility”
It is same for the Principals. A principal has to maintain the discipline of the school as well as he/she has to look up if the study process and outcome of the students are being active enough.Principals are facing challenges each day towards improving student achievement on the campus. Every principal face some of the biggest frustrations to control student behavior, recruiting teachers and staff, promote personalized learning, improve teaching effectiveness, student retention, parent support, and more. In most of the schools, Principals are the decision makers of the school, so they have some major responsibilities and some pain areas, those are:
- Paperwork: Paperwork and forms are one of the biggest frustrations of principals, but that is also an integrated part of Principal’s work.
Solution: Eliminate paperwork and introduce automated data collection system through online forms and online applications for admission, evaluate course details to reach out to more students in a positive manner.
- Decision-making: Principal’s decisions and strategies are critically important to institutional performance. They are accountable for high levels of student achievement.
Solution: To accomplish the high expectations, administrators can analyze the data through dashboards and reports to identify factors related to student enrollment, retention, and success. The attributes of the institution such as admission, registration, attendance, discipline, grades, fee collections, etc. determined those outcomes.
- Scheduling: Classroom teachers, staff, and students report scheduling problems with principals.
Solution: The cognitive re framing of scheduling with an automated timetable system can manage class schedules across multiple courses, faculty, and rooms for different time periods. Innovative scheduling can help reduce the conflicts take place in manual scheduling and place substitutes for teachers in order to maintain continuity of instruction.
- Recruitment: Recruiting competent teachers who are capable of teaching all student population is at the core of a problem.
Solution: In this case introducing an advanced student admission system with real-time application tracking, online assessments, and the automated ranking system always identified the talented and sensitive teachers who demonstrated competency, commitment to implement innovative and high-quality education programs and deliver excellence for all learners.
- Faculty Evaluation: Teachers are vulnerable individuals who are struggling to align instruction and assessments to the learning context of a diverse student population.
Solution: Principal can go for a faculty evaluation system software which creates faculty peer evaluation reviews through online surveys, it will add the benchmark to their teaching effectiveness. Based on the evaluation feedback score, training and improvement action plan for the benefit of faculty can be chalked out to improve their future teaching performance.
- Attendance & Discipline: Principals perceive student absenteeism and misconduct are a major concern.
Solution: Educational institutions can improve class attendance and improve student’s poor academic record using RFID (radio frequency identification) and Bio metric based attendance tracking system to monitor student movements in real-time. Also, they can appoint class teachers to focus on students’ behavior and discipline.
- Curriculum Design: Principals often face critical task of teaching a curriculum that is comprehensive and more encompassing.
Solution: Curriculum mapping software provides the technology tools for executing changes in the curriculum design and syllabus. Principals and teachers can create customized outcome-based education that will map competencies, and standards to improve learning outcomes.
- Student outcomes: One of the most significant factors that stood out is related to student achievement. Principals want to promote learning and see better student outcomes.
Solution: With cutting-edge academic planning tools, school administrators can create a personalized learning plan with goals and tasks linked to lessons to meet the precise requirement of students, which can improve learning outcomes and ensure student success.
- Parental Involvement: One of the biggest frustration faced by principals, is that parental involvement is lacking to support the institution’s effort towards improving student achievement.
Solution: Using real-time status notifications for events, meetings, grades, fee collection, attendance, and discipline via web and mobile devices can improve interactions between teachers and parents and closes the gap.
- Communication & Collaboration: Principals and staff spend so much energy on building relationships with students, teachers, and other staffs.
Solution: Powerful communication tools like some discussion forum, chat, messaging, and social media will have a positive impact within the Institute community and promote collaborative learning.